Charles T. Newland received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Illinois at Champagne/Urbana in 1984 and received his Juris Doctorate, with Highest Distinction (graduating 3rd in a class of 210) from The John Marshall Law School in 1988. Prior to graduation, Mr. Newland worked for one of Illinois’ most renowned personal injury firms, Leonard M. Ring and Associates where he assisted in the litigation and trial preparation for numerous high profile medical malpractice and product liability lawsuits.
“I read with interest your article in the Northwest Suburban Bar Association News Briefs. You forgot to mention a critical point for success in the Court of Claims: exceptional lawyering. A skill which was evident in this case. You really did a terrific job. You should be proud of your efforts on behalf of your client” by The Honorable Peter J. Birnbaum, Chief Justice, Illinois Court of Claims.
After graduation, in 1988, Mr. Newland was hired as an associate attorney for one of Chicago’s largest law firms, Ross and Hardies, where he gained experience in litigating product liability, FELA, railroad and commercial matters. In April of 1991 he started his own practice serving individual clients and businesses in a wide variety of legal matters. Today, the law firm of CHARLES T. NEWLAND & ASSOCIATES concentrates in the areas of consumer bankruptcy and foreclosure matters, probate estate administration and contested estates, business litigation matters and plaintiff and defense injury litigation. Over the course of his career Mr. Newland has helped clients obtain millions of dollars in compensation.
Mr. Newland was recently selected by the American Society of Legal Advocates as one of the Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in the State of Illinois for 2014 and is the recipient of various other prestigious awards, such as: the West Publishing Company Corpus Juris Secundum Award for Significant Legal Scholarship; West Publishing Company Hornbook Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement; a member of the Order of John Marshall (Top 15% of his graduating class). He is a current member of the Lake County Bar Association, Northwest Suburban Bar Association, the Illinois Trial Lawyer’s Association, Illinois State Bar Association and the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. He is the Co-Chairman of the Lake County Bar Association Trusts and Estates Committee and serves as a Court appointed Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) in guardianship cases. Mr. Newland has obtained his certificate from the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education in Protecting Older and Disabled Clients from Abuse, Neglect or Financial Exploitation. He has lectured on a variety of topics including proper documentation of injuries by medical personnel; the probate process; guardianship ; estate planning; residential real estate transactions and foreclosure.
I hired Chuck Newland as a personal injury attorney. The case involved an equine stable and I had shattered an ankle on the premises due to a tractor rut. This was a rare and extremely tough case due to the equine liability act and a waiver I signed absolved the owners of all and any liability of actions on their premises. Chuck worked tirelessly to find laws, loopholes and history to present in my case. He overcame and researched all the adversity we had in defending my case.
Areas of Practice:
- Business Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Real Estate
- Corporate Formation
Teaching Positions and Offices Held:
- Adjunct Professor of Probate and Estates at College of Lake County
- Co-Chair of the Lake County Bar Association-Trust and Estate Committee
- 85% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1989
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois, 1988
J.D., with Highest Distinction
- University of Illinois, B.S. 1984
- Trevino v. Union Pacific Railroad, 916 F.2d 1230 (7th Cir. 1990)
- Hanke v. Union Pacific Railroad, 220 Ill. App. 3d 444 ( 1991)
Honors and Awards:
- American Society of Legal Advocates-Top 100 Litigation Lawyers for the State of Illinois for 2014
- Avvo Rated 10 out of 10 (Superb) for 2011, 2012, 2013
- West Publishing Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement
- CJS Award for Significant Legal Scholarship
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Lake County Bar Association
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association
- Order of John Marshall
- Creighton International Moot Court Board
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- National Association of Foreclosure Defense Attorneys
- Illinois Trial Lawyer’s Association
- American Society of Legal Advocates
“Chuck Newland does an impressive job. I was amazed on how well he answered all my questions, provided advice, and kept me informed!!! I continue to refer him to family and friends because he does a great job.”